Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Days 1 and 2 (12/29-30)

Eighteen or so hours and 8,000 miles later, here we are in beautiful Taiwan. It's been nonstop rain and dreariness so far; I still haven't seen the sun here yet. Jetlag is nonexistant though, so high-five!

Not much has changed. Everyone basically looks the same, but older... I think that's how it works. The mom-and-pop stores, hole in the wall shops and street vendors are still here, as are the omnipresent 7-11s. But there are a couple more Starbuckses and today we passed a TGIFriday's.

For the first time in a while I am literally disconnected from the rest of the world. No cell phone and internet, while available, isn't just... right there. It's nice and weird at the same time. I couldn't even find sheet of paper while I was out today to jot down the infamous to-do list.



- Day 2 (12/30) recap.
We're trying to sell a house here and so I started the day twiddling my thumbs for two hours while dad negotiated with the buyers (who are low balling us). They couldn't reach a compromise and we actually thanks-but-no-thanks'ed them and walked out (later to find out that the buyers took the move as a negotiation tactic and sat around waiting for us to return.)

We hopped on the metro and visited some of his old stomping grounds, a lot of which are food-related.

This was in a food court, one of the nicest ones I've seen. These were actual full restaurants that just happened to be situated next to each other in one large space. No cafeteria seating, none of that counter and bar stool nonsense. You wouldn't even have known it was a food court until you passed the McDonald's.


From a Japanese bakery. I didn't actually have one, but it looked deadly.


The Taiwanese 'White House.' There are security guards but no gates. Our president is very assassinateable.


This is apparently a pretty well known noodle shop. They serve just one dish: noodles with intestines. And there are no seats. It's just a couple workers, a big vat of the stuff, and a little stand with utensils, napkins and condiments (soy sauce, hot sauce and garlic).


The patrons are content to just stand around and eat. We were there at a little before noon; I'd imagine it'd be even more crowded during peak hours.


The noodles and broth are tasty, the intestines chewy and not all that intestine-y.


To truly experience the local food culture, I've instituted a 'try everything' policy. Which is really more like a 'don't turn anything down' policy. So imagine my relief when we came here, a shop specializing in duck and chicken parts, and I wasn't offered to try anything. My dad says he used to hang out here with his friends, grab a couple beers and have duck necks. Kinda like what the kids do today with the going to the mall and the whatnot. But with duck necks.


Assorted tempura covered in miso sauce from a place called 'Simon Tempura' (a play on the protganonist's name from 'The Saint'. Val Kilmer would be ashamed.)


Deep fried street food goodness.


My first motor scooter ride since... the last time I was here. So badass they made me wear a helmet. For everyone else's safety.

4 comments:

  1. Yes......what is this Peruva, and why is it on your 'to-do' list??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheeeeiittttttt.... PERUVA is on the todo list... That's my man Ed.. Straight pimpin... straight muthaphuckin pimpin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why aren't hookers and opium on the list? We had this discussion.

    ReplyDelete