Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 11 (1/8) Potpourri

More house business to care of today so it's back to Shipai. Instead of taking the metro this time though, we hopped on the bus for the 'scenic' route. Scenic in quotes because I've realized that everything here in the city looks the same. On any given block you've got your 7-Eleven or one of its several convenience store copycats, betel net vendor, auto repair shop, hardware store and noodle stand. Oh and rows upon rows of parked bicycles and motor scooters. What... me, cabin fever? Nahhh.

Dad had to handle some paperwork at the bank first, and while I waited a little old lady in a wheelchair on my right kept calling out, "Miss." I finally looked up from the Times when she grabbed my arm, and that's when she realized, "Oh, you're not a miss." She needed help opening her orange juice and I obliged, wondering to myself why this keeps happening. Nothing really says 'woman' about me aside from the neat little bun on the back of my head. And my porcelein skin, delicate eyelashes, slender fingers... yeah, it may be time to do something about this hair.

We then explored the Western side of the city.


Longshan, an impressive Buddhist temple built by Fujianese immigrants in the 1700's.


A nice koi pond...


and waterfall... not sure what either had to do with Buddhism, really.

We stopped in during prayer service. This is only one of the several temples that we've visited during this trip, by the way. I've always felt it was disrespectful to take photos at places of worship, plus these are about all the same anyway. Filled with old people, the devout, and the younger folks that come to light some incense and beg for good fortune, silliness to me. If you're not into it, you're not into it, I guess.

Then it was onto a walk-in visit with my dad's accupuncturist/massage therapist at what was basically the front of the guy's house.


While I waited I snacked on what they called the 'Buddha's head' fruit


This was after the electro-shock accupuncture and various neck- and spine- cracking wrestling holds

Back at home we were treated to a rowdy visit from my second uncle. The family here is a bit on the conservative side; he's always been a bit rebellious, the 'cool' uncle. He brought down a hot pot set and all sorts of nightmarket fare for the traditional Taiwanese 'midnight snack,' I guess you'd call it, as well as snacks, beer and some sort of sinus-clearing liquor.

Turning away a drink from him is near impossible.

'Have you ever had Taiwan's Premium Gold Beer?'
I believe so
'Was it a cold one?'
Of course
'You've never had it warm, then?'
No, I don't think so
'Let me bring some down, you've gotta try it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment