Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 16 (1/13) View from the top


The walk from where I'm staying to the 101 building is only about 25 minutes, surprisingly enough. I've been taking public transportation everywhere and forget how small the city is.


Today I took the 'world's fastest elevator' to the top floors open to the public, floors 89 through 91.


Before taking in the view, I had to check out the...

That's the scientific name.


Explanation


Giant balls.


From the outdoor observation deck.

You can't see really much past the protective barriers unlike say the Empire State building.




Before the security guard yelled at me for sticking my hand out through the bars.
Met up with the aunt (with the monkey) for lunch at another noodle place. That's the great thing about here: everyone knows where you can get the best beef noodles, no two people have the same place in mind, but they're all good.


This place uses Chinese herbal medicines and spices in their broth. They said it was okay if you couldn't finish your noodles but to not finish the broth would be a waste.


Side dish. Left to right: assorted bean curd, chopped seaweed, and some part of the pig I'm not sure which.


On the right: a really exquisite roasted chili pepper paste. The yellow stuff is... coagulated butter I think.


Another visit with Mr. Bau'er.

We then met up with my actual aunt, dad's sister, to take care of some legal stuff at the district office.

This was quite an experience: a government office with greeters at the doorway, welcoming you and offering to help, offering you water, even.

Afterwards we roamed the nearby nightmarkets a bit.
Assorted nightmarket fare.


Brother and sister share a pig's blood cake (rolled in peanut powder!).

1 comment: