Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 7 (1/4) Back up and at it

Feeling a bit better today, physically, but still not 100%. I've got some of that back-of-the-skull dull headache action going on. Lovely. Uhh mentally and spiritually I'm about the same. The whole language deficiency stuff still sucks but I won't dwell on it. Done feeling sorry for myself. For now.

Yesterday I think it was just all that time spent in bed, drifting in and out of consciousness. I'd had a lot of time to think and get myself all worked up. In my delerium I was lonely and homesick and I still am, a bit. I miss:
  • being able to communicate with people
  • understanding stuff around me
  • the sun
  • working out
  • readily available internet access, news and information
  • pizza. real pizza.
  • American girls :p
Anyway, it was good to get out of the house because I don't think I could have slept any more. At least this way I was able to tire myself out.


Lunch was a big bowl of beef and hand-cut-noodle soup that I wasn't able to finish. The appetite's still not all back yet.

Then Dad and I headed over to the Chiang Kai Shek memorial... square, I guess it'd be called.





It's a large open space bordered at each side by the Chiang Kai Shek memorial hall, a concert hall, an opera house and a large gate.


That's the face of pure, unbridled enthusiasm.

Sidenote: my camera keeps telling me that one or more subjects in my photos had blinked. I thought Nikon was a Japanese company? You'd think they would have accounted for Asian eyes in their software programming.


The view from the top of the steps. Great weather, huh?


That's right, this is Taiwan. We got class.


Inside the hall is a large monument of the man himself


The ceiling

Upstairs is a museum filled with old photographs of Chiang's, his old writings, medals, etc. There was also a traveling Andy Warhol exhibit (no photography inside), interesting but I was in no real condition to truly enjoy.



Afterwards we walked over to a beautiful little park nearby with all sorts of wildlife inhabitants and a koi pond (I'm pretty sure they were koi).







I don't know what else to say except it was a pretty calming environment.


Dinner.


The thinking man and his pipe.

1 comment:

  1. So, that's where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came from.

    ReplyDelete